Monday, June 11, 2012

Run Fun, Stroller Division

The Bellin Run is a 10K that is held in Green Bay every June. It is one of the largest 10K races in the US. This year, the Bellin Run drew nearly 18, 500 participants. James and I have been involved in the Bellin on and off for 9 years. We have run it together just he and I, and we have run it with all of the kids...we took a year off when I was pregnant with Natie, and then James developed neuropathy  and it was difficult and painful for him to continue running. I didn't want to run without him because it was kind of our thing to do together. Last year he encouraged me to run it again with Becky, and it was fun to be a part of it again, but I missed having James there. 




















This year was the first in a long time that James was able to do the Bellin again. We decided to walk it this time. We  wanted Natie to be able to be a part of it, too. We were in the "Stroller Division" catagory. How cool is that? It was very significant for us this year because of James's health and also because we have been working very hard to get Natie to be able to walk.



He is 4 years old and does not walk independently yet. It can be a struggle for us at times because he is a big boy now, and he is very active and wants to do so much, but often he is unable to participate in things he wants to because he hasn't mastered walking yet.  He can walk for short distances using a reverse walker, but his little legs give out quickly. We have been participating in many forms of physical therapy.  Recently we have been to Children's Hospital of Milwaukee to have an MRI and spinal x-ray performed, and so far all of his testing has come back very normal. We go back for more testing this Friday. 

We know that the scope of development and milestones is vastly different in children with Ds. I also know that most children with Ds at Natie's age and younger have been walking and running for a long time. Truthfully it is only difficult for me to observe other children Natie's age with Ds who are able to do more than him. It is not difficult for me to observe typically developing children Natie's age who do much, much more than he. 

I worry too much and sometimes become anxious about it.  

After the Bellin Run we went to our church's picnic, and it was hard for me to tell Natie that he could not go on the bouncy houses. He wanted to very badly.
His brother made him feel better though....


Yeah, Bubba. 
Bring on the whipped cream.
That's brotherly love right there, people.


















It was a long, fun-filled day with lots of food, great friends and happy memories.
When a day ends like this (the cuddle-crash) it has been a very good day.



4 comments:

  1. Oh Jill- I had no idea about Nate's walking- I can imagine how that would be hard on a mama's heart. Praying for you and for that sweet boy, who I'm sure will be just fine. And by the way, I am so in awe that you could run a 10k. I don't even know that I could walk it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patti, Thank you for your prayers and for such a sweet comment. Yes, you can run a 10K! So good to hear from you. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your transparency, Jill. I'm sure so many others do too, and will be ministered to through it. I know that God has already taken your pain, anxiety, and hurt and turned it into blessings that you could have never imagined, and He will continue to do so. It is just like the title of your blog speaks of...leading you through valleys of sorrow into Rivers of Joy! I am praying for Nate, I am praying for you. Believing and trusting for great things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy, you have really touched me today with your friendship and kindness. Thank you for taking the time to comment here and share your thoughts with me. You are a blessing to me! Love you.

    ReplyDelete