Thursday, October 13, 2011

Recipe from a farmer's daughter

I work with a really cool girl who grew up on a true-blue Wisconsin dairy farm. She is a great cook, and makes the most delicious apple crisp I have ever tasted (and I make a pretty mean apple crisp myself).
Hers is the kind of apple crisp where you groan after each bite, and when you ask, "how much butter is actually in this crust?"
the reply is
 "you don't want to know."
mmm.

So the other day we were talking about monkey bread.
Why I do not know.
Probably because I was hungry and she is preggers.

In any case, she told me her rendition of monkey bread.
 Her recipes often sound something like "a little of this and a pinch of that" and this one was no different.

 This is what she told me; "take a little brown sugar and butter, melt it together and pour it over biscuits that are filled with cream cheese. You know, take each busicut and smash it, cut it in half, and put a little sweetened cream cheese in the middle...and roll the balls in cinnamon/sugar mixture."

 There you have it.
 
I really wanted to make it. I thought it would be fun to have the kids help, too. At first I was hesitant to have Nate help me. I don't know why...I mean who cares if he gets sugar all over the place. 
I remembered my friend Ria's post about making muffins, and that really inspired me. So I sat Nate up on the counter and gave him the little balls of dough that were filled with cream cheese....
He giggled at first...
But then he did it! He rolled them like little meatballs...

Then he rolled them in the cinnamon and sugar...
And placed them into the pan...(most times...)
A few times he wanted to cram them into the hole.
After the pan cooled a little, I flipped them out onto a serving plate. This is such a yummy treat. The pieces come apart easily and are filled with warm, sweet cream cheese. 
Thanks, Krista! This beats my recipe any day 
:)


5 comments:

  1. sounds so yummy we will have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, had I thought of it, I would have made icing to drizzle over the top. I mean at this point, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds SOOO good! It makes me hungry for homemade food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nate and I will make it for you when you come home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! I'll be able to visit over Christmas break!!

    ReplyDelete