Sunday, August 08, 2010

Pals

It's one thing to have a teenager give up a week of summer to volunteer at a camp such as Camp Daniel. But there were a few kids who had that extra-special something that really set them apart.

Strong character, kindness and compassion....amazing to see these teens with their campers.

On this particular night, James and I were at the bonfire waiting for the outdoor movie to begin. There were several teen counselors with their campers in front of us, and they were being funny and a little loud and crazy. I heard Evan (a super nice kid who is Andrew's age) and another teenage girl saying to each other, "no, I do!" and then "no, he's mine! I get him for the movie!" and on and on they bantered like this...laughing and shoving one another.

I said to James, "what are they talking about?"

He replied, "Nate"

My heart melted.

Teenagers arguing with each other about who gets to hold my boy.

Sure enough, Evan held Nate the entire movie.

Later, he said to James, "If I lived close to you, I would come over and babysit everyday...even if you were home."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that really busted me up. What a lovely story. I'd want to babysit him too.

    ReplyDelete